Kitchen Windows

Cooking and Philosophy. Both address fundamental human needs. One, a physical need to be nourished, filled, satisfied. The other a mental need to understand and explain the world around us. Both are also windows to a deeper spiritual need, Jesus Christ.

My Photo
Name:
Location: British Columbia, Canada

Cooking and Philosophy. Both address fundamental human needs. One, a physical need to be nourished, filled, satisfied. The other a mental need to understand and explain the world around us. To make sense of the details of life and fit them into some bigger picture. Both are interests of mine, so that's what I'll try to focus on here. It may seem like a random combination, but hey, that's me. More importantly, though, both cooking and philosophy and all the other pursuits of mankind, are simply windows that point to a greater spiritual need. All to often we get focused on the "windows" and forget to look through them. Every person, at the core, has a need to be nourished, filled, satisfied, in a way that food can never provide. To have some meaning in life, to find answers, that philosophy alone can never seem to provide. The answer is Jesus Christ. He, ultimately, is the focus here. Whether it's a recipe I happen to like, or some philosophical question that I find interesting, it's all for His glory. Remember to look through the windows!

Friday, November 17, 2006

On My Way Home... Eventually

I'm sitting in the lounge at the Montreal airport waiting for my flight back to Vancouver. It was supposed to leave at 8 this morning, but "technical difficulties" pushed it back to 1. It's going to be a long day. Oh well, it still been a great holiday. I thought I'd post a few pictures.

This is me on the shore of Lake Ontario in Oakville. Dan Horne gave me the grand tour of Oakville, Niagara-on-the-Lake and the Falls. It was a great day. The whole time in Toronto was really great. God worked it out so well that I could see lots of friends over the 5 days I was there. It was really neat to see people at their own homes. I spent almost every night in a different place so there was a lot of driving around (actually I had to bum rides the whole time, for which I'm forever grateful). It's such an encouragement to see friends continuing to learn and grow outside of Capernwray.


Last Friday I left Toronto and flew into Montreal. Steve Thiessen and Christine Wichert met me at the airport and we went for supper. I joined the Capernwray Quebec students for Missions Fest in Montreal. I stayed at the church with them and had a couple days to tour the city. The Metro in Montreal is great. You can get almost anywhere in a few minutes. I went downtown and walked around the old city. I also toured a couple of huge churches.

This is St. Joseph's Oratory. It and absolutely massive church. I spent a couple hours here. Even had my devotion here while organ music was playing. It was pretty neat. The Catholic church may be off base, but they do have a sense of reverence and awe that I think much of the church has lost.


On Tuesday I went to Quebec City for the day with a few of the staff from Capernwray Quebec. We spent the whole day walking around the old city. It felt like I spent the day in France. We even found a nice little Bistro and I had escargot for lunch (if you don't know what it is don't ask). The old buildings are incredible, so much history.
The rest of the week I spent at the Capernwray Quebec centre. It was such a blessing to be there and get to know the staff and students a bit. There's only 19 students so if has a great family atmosphere. On Thursday I had the privilege of cooking a meal for them. It was a blast. I was truly blessed and refreshed through my time there. Yesterday, just to round out the whole french experience Steve took me out for frog's legs. They kinda taste like a cross between chicken and fish. Not bad. My flights leaving soon so I'm off...

3 Comments:

Blogger Kristine Brown said...

Wow, what an amazing trip ... I have to say that I'm intrigued by the old churches, especially. They almost seem to give an acute awareness of God's bigness and our smallness, that His will extends though all of history and farther than our self-centered eyes can see. Very cool. I'm very glad you had a good time.

11:26 AM  
Blogger girlofclay said...

Hello! You have no idea who I am. I'll introduce myself. I went to two years of school at Capernwray Quebec,...long story but I found your blog and realized you'd just visited there, and remembered one of my friends at the school saying you had been there and cooked a meal, and inspired some changes in the menu and kitchen staff (congratulations! it was good, but needed refreshing!). Anyway, thought I'd say hullo and tell you that your blog is really great... your paragraph on food and windows really made me think. I'd heard the analogy of windows before but forgotten it, and it was encouraging to read it again.
Megaan
http://magduska.spaces.live.com

3:18 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

hey!!

hows it goin ? wow i havent talked to you since summer! lol oh yes this is Stephanie . . if you totally clueless to who this person is rambelling on . . its just me. so what have you been up to? i got myself a blog here not to long ago. its stephaniehaynes.blogspot.com :)
hope to hear from yha soon!

- Steph

3:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home